Plantagon: “Business As Usual is Over” Vertical Farming Taken to the Next Level.

A Swedish social enterprise is building a 54m high vertical farm that can feed up to 300,000 people.

Plantagon isn’t like other companies. In fact, they say that business as usual is over. Founded by Hans Hassle and the Onondaga Nation Plantagon seeks to develop business that is good for society – one that is able to balance commercial success with idealistic principles. They plan to accomplish this through the development of technology for greenhouse cultivation in large urban areas, namely through the development of innovative vertical farming.

This computer-generated image was designed to show how the proposed Plantagon International  vertical greenhouse would look in a fictional city. Plantagon, a Swedish company owned by the Onondaga Nation, says it will begin building the greenhouses in cities around the world in 2012. The smallest greenhouse would be about five stories high. The largest Plantagon would be about 25 stories. The smallest would cost $10 million to $20 million, according to Plantagon.

The Onondaga Nation is one of the original five constituent nations of the Iroquois Confederacy. Their traditional homeland is in and around Onondaga County, New York. They own 85% of Plantagon alongside SWECORP Citizenship Stockholm which owns the other 15%. To the Onondaga chiefs, the Plantagon greenhouses represent a socially responsible business, one that will provide fresh organic produce directly to urban consumers while reducing the environmental damage caused by diesel trucks that haul produce, says Oren Lyons, the Onondaga faithkeeper who chairs Plantagon’s board of directors.

Plantagon has already begun building the first greenhouse, a 54m high vertical farm in the city of Linköping, about 200km southwest of Stockholm, set to be complete in 2014. Much of the 200m Swedish Krona (£19m) pricetag has been covered by Plantagon and its backers, the Onondaga Nation, who were instrumental in founding the company with ethical business guru Hans Hassle in 2008.

Crops are grown on a spiral running through the heart of the building that slowly moves hundreds or even thousands of soil-filled planting boxes upward, as the plants grow. With the boxes resting on a pair of rails that corkscrew through the entire volume of the structure, a third rail carries a device that continuously cycles from the top of the spiral to the bottom, nudging each box a few centimetres upward. When they reach the top, the mature plants are pushed out onto the harvest platform, and new boxes of soil and seed are pulled in at the bottom

Plantagon is not without its critics. “It’s totally nonsustainable. I don’t know anyone with any real information about greenhouses who would support this,” said Louis Albright, a Cornell University professor of biological and environmental engineering who specializes in greenhouse engineering.

Despite its immense start up costs cities including Barcelona, Buffalo and Shanghai have already expressed interest in constructing Plantagon’s vertical farms. Significant international interest exists and it remains to see whether they can deliver on their urban agriculture claims.

More information on Plantagon:
Plantagon Homepage
Wikipedia
Youtube

Similar Stories
Growing Up: Vancouvers Vertical Farm

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s